Thursday, July 7, 2011

What I'm Making

Photo Credit

So I made my first trip to the grocery store and I can just say it has been enlightening. I checked all my labels and even started pricing organic and more natural choices. It amazed me that for instance the organic Cascadian Farms (Small Plant Food division by General Mills) cereal box was smaller, weighed the same ounce and was the same price as the regular cereal.


Also educating myself on unrefined Turbinado sugar (comes from first press of sugar cane) and granulated sugar from sugar beets. Monsanto's website lists  sugar beets from Genetically Modified seeds as one of the eight items they have produced and entered into our market and food system. Again why not give the general public the option of choosing if we want lab food or not with proper labels.

I am still encouraged that I made the right decision. I have always had a problem with the shelf life of items provided in our stores. When I was pregnant I read on skincare so much that when my family and friends asked what I wanted I told them just diapers, wipes & clothes. I never wanted to use any of the main stream baby care items because of the artificial perfumes and preservatives. After reading there side effects after long term use was not in my best interest.

So I settled on  pure Vaseline & virgin olive oil for skin moisture. I have been using it since birth and have had no problems. There are many organic baby wash/shampoo/conditioner brands out there, but I love Jason Pure, Natural & Organic Kids Only! & Kinky Curly Tiny Twirls and both can be found at Whole Foods cheaper than buying online.

Also Whole Foods was awesome earlier this year when I ran out of the Jason Kids Only! and I found out they had discontinued the line (mind you I had the bottle a year, before I ran out) and I panicked because I really loved it. I called around town and found that they sold it, so bought the old bottle in with me and verified the ingredients and saw just really the bottles changed the sweet guy said it's on us. If you like it come back and buy more. You don't need a lot and it lasts for a long time. Plus the olive oil works great as a detanlger prior to washing babies hair.

Got a little side tracked LOL. Here are some items I have decided to learn how to make:

Yogurt
Cream Cheese
Butter
Jam or Fruit Spreads
Salad Dressing
Bread (Loaf)
Banana Bread
Festival (great with fried fish & eggs)
Muffins
Bagels
English Muffins
Baking Mix
Cornbread Mix
Granola Bars
Rolls
Seasonings (using less sodium & avoiding free flow agents)
Baking Powder (without alumin)
Ketchup
Vinegar
Pickles
Mustard
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
Ice Cream
Smoothies
Cakes
Cookies
Turkey Sausage with Gravy
Hash Browns
Crackers
Pudding
Apple Sauce

I am pretty sure that I will add other things. I would love to know what your making in your kitchen? So what's Cooking?

Let me know if I missed a deal. Thanks for visiting my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...