Monday, July 4, 2011
I can't believe how easy these were to make. If you google homemade bagels there are lots of different recipes and ways to make them. I used the below method and it works well. All you need is flour, water, yeast and salt. Now the next time I make this I will try it with bread flour to see if it gives a more bread like texture. But I think the All Purpose can work just as well.
Recipe adapted from Heavenly Homemakers
4 to 4 1/2 cup Flour (Your choice)
1 pk Fleishmans Active Yeast
1 1/2 cup Warm Water (not so hot that it burns your finger)
3 tab Honey + 1 tab Honey
1 tsp salt
2 cookie sheets
1 large pot or deep frying pan
1) Stir 2 cups flour, salt and yeast.
2) Mix water & 3 tabs of honey and add to mix. After mixing in the water and honey you can add the remaining flour. Also if you would like to make them into a diffrent kind of bagel such as chocolate chip or cinnamon and raisin add them here. Only mix untill all the ingredients come together only.
3) Dump and knead dough on a floured surface for about 7 minutes, then cover and sit for 10 minutes.
4) Set timer for 20 minutes, press down on batter to push our air and divide into 10-12 equal parts. Begin to shape into ball and poke 2 inch hole and mold and set to the side on greased pan until all are done. Let then sit until timer goes off. You can note from my picture above that I did my second batch with the wrist roll (roll your individual pieces and use your wrist to close the fold. This also works but you need to make sure your whole remain big or it will close as mine did)
5) Turn your broiler on and broil each side for two minutes on your cookie sheets. If your bagels are too close to the broiler they will burn. I put mine on the third shelf. Broiling them will also help them to keep shape. As your bagels are broiling put your water (about 8 cups) plus last tablespoon of honey on to boil.
6) Once your water has boiled turn it down to med heat and add 4-6 bagels to your water for a total of 7 1/2 minutes. Flip them half way through and sit on cloth or tea towel to drain 1-2 minutes.
7). Almost done! Turn your oven to 375 and bake to 25-30 minutes. Let cool and store in a air tight container. When your ready to eat them slice and toast in toaster. Spread with jam and butter or cream cheese. Enjoy!
- Extras can be stored in the freezer
- If you want to add cheese, dried onions or poppy seeds you can does this after boiling when they are draining.
Let me know if I missed a deal. Thanks for visiting my blog.